Re: Powder coating oven

Subject: Re: Powder coating oven
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:39:00 -0700
Bill Gilroy wrote:

> Q2.  Would the heating element create a uniform temperature in the bigger
> oven?

Bill, somewhere I've read of a fellow that just added a temporary
extension to an ordinary kitchen oven, made of that foil covered
insulation board and (as I recall) aluminum tape.  He said it worked
well for him.

Also, we're just talking curing powder coat here, not baking a cake.  A
50F variation won't hurt anything, as long as the entire part gets to at
least 400F.  With the element on, there is going to be a sizeable
temperature variation through the oven (after all, the surface of the
element gets red hot), but once it shuts off, it should even out fairly
rapidly.

> Ovens are install right next to wood in your kitchen.

Yes, but they have another metal outer layer, and many of them have a
minimum safe distance.  If you provide those, I think you'll be fine.
Besides, wood doesn't ignite until 570F or something like that (even
paper is 451F), and you're not planning to run that hot.

Randall

///