Re: Sinking cottage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, kennedybc@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: Sinking cottage
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:05:28 -0400
Well, if it's the "cheap way" he is going, (I'm good at "cheap") 8>), and I
don't know if this will work, but...

How about if he got some REAL long I=beams.  Then he slid them under the
house.  (I'm confused as to what type of flooring it has)

But have the i-beams sticking out each side about 10' each.  This will
effectively reduce the "lbs/sqft load"  by spreading the load over a larger
area.  This should slow down (or maybe stop) he  sinking.

Just a thought.

Inch

> From: "Landaiche Kenneth (NET-BBS/Petaluma)" <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>
> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:53:21 -0700
> To: "'Brian Kennedy'" <kennedybc@mediaone.net>, "shop talk shop talk"
> <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> Subject: RE: Sinking cottage
>
> Why is it sinking? My 1928 house appears to be sinking as well. But it
> is really that the sandy soil around it creeps slowly down hill, like a
> decades-long avalanche. It amounts to the same thing, the foundation
> getting buried in places.

It's sitting next to a lake with the water table about 2 feet down. My
cottage is also sitting on a slab and sinking, about 6" in 60 years.

> Could a house raiser raise a house with no floor? If possible, then your
> neighbor could raise the cottage, dig around the base, pour a foundation
> and stem walls, then slide a floor in between.

The new houses all have to have pilings. My neighbor can't afford that kind
of solution. He's looking for a much cheaper, albeit not as good solution.

> Hmm, might be easier to build a proper foundation on a different site
> and move the cottage to it.

He's tried the let's move approach, but they can't afford a house on the a
lake. He's married and they are staying on the lake. Enough said?

> Is this a rental cottage? If so, he might be able to get a business
> loan.

No.

> Adding treated lumber to the mess will only delay the final rebuild or
> teardown.

True enough. I suppose if compare the delay to his life expectancy, you
might have a perfectly acceptable solution. Particularly if you use the
money you save to do something important like go fishing.

> How's that for random thoughts?
Keep 'em coming.

> Ken L

///