Re: Powder coating oven

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Powder coating oven
From: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:23:48 -0400
Hello Bill,

Here is a summary of what I have gotten back so far.

----------------- CONCERNS/PROBLEMS -----------------------
Q1.  Would the fiberglass insulation melt?
Q2.  Would the heating element create a uniform temperature in the bigger
oven?
Q3.  Would the outside wood box be a fire hazard?

My answers.

A1.  I think it would be fine.  When I painted an oven door it was two
pieces of metal that was filled with fiberglass insulation.
A2.  Not sure about this.  It might not be a problem.  I guess the
best thing to do would be run a few tests and see if there is that
much of temperature differential.   A fan could address this problem
but I think that would be costly.  Maybe two heating elements from two
ovens.  Then I would need just 2 220 outlets.   I will have to check
with the two physicists that I know.
A3.  I don't think the wood would be a fire hazard.  Ovens are install
right next to wood in your kitchen.  I should get an oven and take it
apart to get an idea on how they handle the heat.

----------------- OTHER IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS ------------------
1.  Would it be easier to purchase an infrared heater for
just that purpose?
2.  Scrounge a container like you intend to build at a scrap yard.
Perhaps an old chest freezer?  Every dump has a number of those,
though you may have to search a bit for one 6 feet long.
3.  A gun safe would be perfect (fireproof), but you aren't likely to find one
cheap.
4.  Since the target temp is a uniform 400 degrees F, could you not get that
with a dozen 250-watt light bulbs in a well-insulated box?

------------------- MY IDEAS --------------------------------
One lister wants to build an oven that you can roll things into.  I
saw a commercial oven that uses the building floor as the bottom.
There are warnings not to use it on a wood floor.

I think the next steps are:

1.  Get an oven and figure out how they are insulated.
2.  Find out what thickness walls I would need in my oven (again
measure the test oven).
3.  Talk with some people who might have a better idea about one
heating element and maintain a constant temperature and cold spots.

I think that an infrared lamp would be a pain in the neck.

More to come but this will be a slow moving project since I have lots
of other stuff in the queue.

Thanks to the people who have provide input:

       "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@wmautomotive.com>
       "Galt, Stuart A" <stuart.a.galt@pss.Boeing.com>
       "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>

--