Powder coating oven

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Powder coating oven
From: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:50:37 -0400
I was thinking that I would like to powder coat some of the parts for
my car.  One of the problems is that I don't really have the space for
an oven in my garage.  So I gave it some thought and it is
possible to take an old oven an build a plywood box around the oven
and use that to keep it out of the weather on the side of the house.

The problem with a household oven is that they are square and some of
the parts I would like to coat are long.  So I got to thinking that
what if you took an electric oven and removed the heating element and
controls.  Then you could make a long metal box that would be the new
oven.

     1.  Build a long box, about ~2x2x6 made out of heavy sheet metal.
      You could use an angle iron frame or braze the seams.
      2.  The door could be a removable top, but if you opened it
      early you would lose all your heat.
      3.  Put in 2 small windows (from two old doors) in the side.
      4.  Cover the thing with insulation.  Maybe cement board and
      then some fiberglass insulation.
      5.  Mount the heating element on the bottom of the new oven.
      6.  Cover the insulation with either another metal box, or more
      likely a wooden box.
      7.  Put a couple of big wheels at one end and you can wheel it
      into the yard.

Now you have a big oven.  Test fire outside of the garage and see what
happens.  What do you guys think?  Winter project or a twisted desire
to burn down my house.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net