Re: Enclosed trailer discussion

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Enclosed trailer discussion
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:05:26 -0400
My best friend had a Pace and my Dad has a Haulmark.  Both are great trailers.
Both had electric brakes, and are 25' - as others pointed out, as a rule of
thumb, bigger is better.  We've towed our 48 TR1800, 65 Morgan, and Bricklin
at different times.

As someone also point out, he has a wench in his.  We put an electric wench
in ours.  Really pays off, especially on a hot day, trying to crank a hand
wench in the "hot" trailer can be a killer.

For small/low cars, you may find that you need to put a plank on each side
of the trailer for the wheels of the car to go on.  This will raise the
height of the car so the bottom of the door clears the inside of the wheel
wells on the trailer.

Most of the trailers come with a "standard" 7' x 3' ish door up front on
the right side.  We also have the optional larger door aft of the wheels,
on the left side.  Then we had sliding windows put in it also.   One up
front on the left side, and one aft on the right side.  This really
helps with getting light into the trailer.  Since these windows also open,
it helps with ventilation.  We've put blinds over the windows so you can't
see in if we don't want you to.

Finally, I would suggest a "beaver" tail.  Where the back of the trailer is
ramped down some.  This makes the transition from the ramp (door) to the
floor not so sharp.  This is a requirement for my Morgan.

As to your tow vehicle, dad bought a F150 new in 89 with the towing package.
Unfortunately, he got the small V8.  We find that on the flats on the east
coast, it is tollerable.  But when we get to the hills the going is very
slow.  For some reason, the truck really wants to wander also.  We have
the "leveling bars" on our hitch, and have helper springs on the rear
of the truck.

If we are running on level ground and run around 65 empty we get 7 mpg.
When we were loaded with a 3500# Bricklin, and were crusing at 55 we got
9mpg.

My buddy used to pull is 25' Pace with a Chevy 1500, then moved to a 2500
He said that wasn't too bad.  Then a Ford F350 Desiel dualie.  He said
that the 350 was the best!

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan