Enclosed trailer discussion

To: lmairs@cox.rr.com
Subject: Enclosed trailer discussion
From: mbarre@juno.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:09:49 -0500
Lee,
I will go out & measure the TR3, but you are correct, you can't simply
open the door & step out!

The most constraining measurement is between the two wires that bring the
ramp up & down.
I have driven a car up into the trailer and simply have to climb out -
good thing it is a
convertible.  I can usually step over the door an shimmy along the side.

Most of the time, I simply hook a strap to the front and wench it up the
ramp nice & slow.
Then I tie it down without having to actually get in the car.  I usually
reach over & put it in
gear / set the brake.  Plus I can go in/out of the walk door near the
front of the trailer.

It is not what I would call a comfortable maneuver, so it depends on how
much you are looking to
put the car in & out.   I bought a 40' fifth wheel that is very easy to
drive in & out of, but
the downside is I had to buy a 1 ton Dodge pick up to pull the monster!

My 14X6 only weighs 1950# and even fully loaded, it pulls easily behind a
Suburban.
The trailer weight capacity is 10K# but I imagine I have only had 5K# at
most in it.

I agree w/ Rex - Most folks will want a larger trailer, but the trade
offs are tow vehicle and possibly storage.
One guy was interested in mine because it would fit nicely into a niche
he had in his back yard
since neighborhood covenants wouldn't allow him to keep it in front of
his house or in the driveway.

Pace & Haulmark make nice trailers, but I believe Wells Cargo is a cut
above, and you pay a bit of a premium.
They use Dexter axels and mine does have electric brakes.

Replacement cost for my trailer new is around $5K which is a lot for a
14X6.