RE: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:58:07 -0700
Nolan Penney wrote :

> Pipe dope is a solid sealant that relies on solvent action to flow into
> the thread voids.  The solvent evaporates, leaving the solids as a
> sealant, or glued joint.  It is rigid and brittle.  Pipe dope tends to
> break up under vibration, and depending on the formulation it can be
> disolved by different fluids and gasses.  It also tends to make
> disassembly
> difficult and requires complete thread cleaning to reassemble.

Perhaps there are different formulations then.  I've taken apart joints that
I've assembled with Teflon dope 15 years before, and never seen that the
dope was rigid, brittle, disassembly was difficult, or that complete
cleaning was required to reassemble.  I just slop a little more goo on, and
screw it back together.

My can of Teflon dope lists a whole bunch of things it's compatible with
(air, steam, hot water, LP and natural gas, diesel fuel, gasoline, etc.);
mentions only oxygen, chlorine, and molten metals that it is not compatible
with.

Randall

///