Re: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pipe dope vs. Teflon(r) tape
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:44:04 -0700
Donald H Locker wrote:

> I don't know about tape vs dope, but I do know that white tape is not
> for use on natural gas.  There is a yellow tape for that.

I just noticed the yellow tape the other day.  Does anyone know what the
difference is (besides the color and the price) ?

I prefer teflon dope for most of my pipe joints, IMO it seals better and
doesn't let little strings of stuff loose in your plumbing.  I suspect
it's actually somewhat more expensive per application than the tape, but
since an $8 bottle lasted me over 10 years, cost isn't exactly a driving
factor ...

Randall

///