Re: I say it off topic, wife says its not

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: I say it off topic, wife says its not
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:39:57 -0400
Jim, you are right about shape of pools and such.  And yes, cost can get up
there as well.
I'm pretty sure that they can retrofit just about any pool now a days.  I
had a friend whose pool kept cracking due to an improper footing.  Instead
of ripping the pool out and fixing it, they just put a liner in it (it was
a plaster pool).
They knew that they would be moving in a few years, so the cost of fixing
it right was too high (over $10K).

The liner did the trick.  Last I heard, the new owners never had a problem
with the pool.  (it's been about 7 years since the "fix" and I haven't seen
them do any major repairs to the pool)

Inch

Yes, I'm pretty sure it will cost more than just "painting" it, but it will
last WAY longer.

                    Jim Juhas

                    <james.f.juhas        To:     shop-talk@autox.team.net

                    @snet.net>            cc:     epetrevich@relavis.com, BOB
NOGUEIRA
                                          <nogera@Prodigy.Net>

                    08/08/01 01:07        Subject:     Re: I say it off topic,
wife says its
                    PM                    not

I don't know if a vinyl liner can be installed in a plaster pool.  I guess
it would depend on the
particular shape, and I do believe you can get liners made to
specification.  But, liner replacement
is not cheap.  In New England, it cost me $3200 last summer to replace my
20 year old 16x32 liner.
And liners require a certain coping which has a recess that holds the liner
in place, and this coping
mounts on to a galvanized steel wall that forms the perimeter of the pool.
So, I expect that a liner
in its conventional form would not be an inexpensive remedy.

OTOH, my first one lasted 20 years, probably longer than paint or plaster
without attention.

epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:

> The question is, how long do you plan to have the pool?
>
> My opinion would be to look at liners.  They come in a ton of patterns
and
> fix ALL leaks instantly.
>
> They may also be priced about the same as "painting" but will last much
> longer.  Plus, you can easily patch a liner if you get a leak.  (they are
> easy to find, wait for the water to stop leaking out, then check along
the
> water line)
>
> Inch
>

>                     "BOB  NOGUEIRA"