Re: Exhaust Leak

To: <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Leak
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:39:26 -0400
A few days ago, I asked about the possible sources on an exhaust
leak on my son's '85 El Camino.

I'm not 100% sure if it was the cause, but replacing the EGR valve
seems to have cured the problem.

The EGR valve in question not only opens and closes the ports in
the intake manifold to route the exhause gases, but it also uses the
exhaust gas pressure to "assist" the motion of the valve.  It accomplishes
it by routing the exhuast internally (within the valve to the diaghpram)
to assist the movement of the diaghpram, much like how a power brake
booster works.  I suspect that the leak was in this system, venting a
small amount of exhaust.  I'm still going to try to figure out some way of
determining that this was infact the cause of the leak for sure (can't find
any other problems, and the gaskets were just fine), but in the mean time,
it's working, no fumes, no headaches, and the slight "pinging" the engine
was developing also seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Tim Mullen

///