RE: Antifreeze

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <larryhoy@Prodigy.Net>
Subject: RE: Antifreeze
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:27:42 -0400
>> "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@Prodigy.Net> wrote:
>
> I picked this up on another car list I am on.  I found it interesting.
>> 'Jim Crider wrote'
>> "Here's a response from someone who designs vehicle cooling systems for
>> a living (that would be me): Strictly looking at the heat transfer
>> <...>

That's great information, but I have one question?

What type of antifreeze is in my car, and what should I replace it with??

Specifically, I have a '96 Ford Ranger.  It has some brand of 5 year antifreeze
in it, and I need to change it.  But what with??  Jim's article was
informative, but
it also points out that there may be potential problems with changing types
(unless
you go to the trouble of possibly acid flushing).  I was thinking that I'd just
change
it with Dex-Cool, but now I realize it may not be the correct type.

Anybody have a specific brand to use on a '96 Ford?

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Prestone "Green Stuff"
85 Chevy El Camino - Prestone "Green Stuff"
93 Honda Accord - Prestone "Green Stuff"
94 Miata R Package - Prestone "Green Stuff"
96 Ford Ranger 4x4 - "Long Life Green Stuff" made by God only knows...

///