Re: Electric motor power ?

To: "Paul Humphries" <paul.humphries1@virgin.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric motor power ?
From: "Neil Sherry" <sherry@invention-machine.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:31:20 +0100
Paul,

I have also harboured thoughts of just such a conversion - never got beyond
dreaming though (too busy on house renovation right now).

You might be interested in this site: http://www.4qd.co.uk/ I have no
connection other than as an interested observer. 4QD manufacture speed
controllers (and are UK based!). There are also links to motor manufacturers
(Lynch - another fine British product) and lots of other stuff.

Don't forget that the weight of the electric vehicle will increase quite a
bit due to the batteries, so a motor that is more powerful than the petrol
engine will be desirable (also watch the brakes - ideally use regenerative
braking, it will save power and save the existing brakes too).

Ideally horsepower for electric and petrol motors should be equivalent  -
although BHP is actual power at the shaft (this will be a maximum, elsewhere
in the rev. range there will be less) and that motor power will be
electrical input (output will be around 20% lower). I don't know what rules
of thumb there are because of the differing power deliveries.

Good luck, and keep the list informaed of the progress.
Neil Sherry

///