compressor question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: compressor question
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:41:24 -0500
I'm lucky enough (I hope it's luck) to have the option to buy another
compressor... it's a big ole honkin Chicago Pneumatic Model 4x5...  150 psi
and 82 cfm  (yes..82)  It was built back in June of 1962...  serious
stationary compressor... sits on a 150 gallon tank....  now the problem...
the minimum motor to run it to 100 psi is 15 hp.   20 hp gives you 175 psi
at 82 cfm..  I want this compressor bad... I can have a drive by sandblast
booth...  By my figures 15 ph 230 volt single phase runs at about 50
amps..and probably around 100 amp start up draw.... a little high for home
use...  so I'm thinking maybe gas driven ???  I considered using a vw
engine but the rebuild cost would be higher than the compressor cost...
any suggestins on possible power plants for this jewel ???  how economical
is a 15-20 hp air cooled B.S. or Kohler engine to run... ???  what do you
do about pressure cut offs and restarts ???   I'm too cheap to do this
right so I'm looking for low cost solutions ???   what about it guys ???
is this project worth the effort/cost/end result

///