RE: compressor question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: compressor question
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:18:54 -0700
If you can find a 10-15hp single phase motor, it shouldn't be all that hard
to come up with a 50 amp, 220v service for it (think kitchen stove
connection).  Of course, you may not be able to run the compressor while
your better half is cooking dinner ...

Most gas driven compressors don't auto-start the engine, but instead have a
check valve on the line into the tank, and a valve that opens the compressor
output to the atmosphere when the tank is full.  Fuel usage while the valve
is open is minimal, since the compressor is not working against a load, and
the engine's governor can close the throttle.  If you don't care about fuel
usage, you could just use the pressure blow-off from a water heater, but
then your fuel usage will be just as high when you aren't using the air as
when you are.

Unfortunately, I think you'll find that you need a substantially larger gas
engine to drive the compressor.  I'm not sure how much larger, but from what
I've seen, commercial compressors use a gas engine that is rated at 3-5
times the honest horsepower of an equivalent electric compressor.

Don't rebuild, just find some clapped-out old 4-banger from a Toyota or
whatnot and rig it up with a radiator and electric fan.  If you'd really
rather go air-cooled, there are lots of big motorcycle engines around,
although you'll still need to rig a cooling fan.  Don't forget, you'll also
have to build a governor of some sort ... and an exhaust system ... and a
fuel tank ...

I don't know your situation, but for me it wouldn't be worth it to go for
the gas-driven conversion.  The result is going to take up a lot of time and
space, make noise, not start automatically, etc.

Randall

JNiolon@uss.com wrote :

> I'm lucky enough (I hope it's luck) to have the option to buy another
> compressor... it's a big ole honkin Chicago Pneumatic Model
> 4x5...  150 psi
> and 82 cfm  (yes..82)  It was built back in June of 1962...  serious
> stationary compressor... sits on a 150 gallon tank....  now the problem...
> the minimum motor to run it to 100 psi is 15 hp.   20 hp gives you 175 psi
> at 82 cfm..  I want this compressor bad... I can have a drive by sandblast
> booth...  By my figures 15 ph 230 volt single phase runs at about 50
> amps..and probably around 100 amp start up draw.... a little high for home
> use...  so I'm thinking maybe gas driven ???  I considered using a vw
> engine but the rebuild cost would be higher than the compressor cost...
> any suggestins on possible power plants for this jewel ???  how economical
> is a 15-20 hp air cooled B.S. or Kohler engine to run... ???  what do you
> do about pressure cut offs and restarts ???   I'm too cheap to do this
> right so I'm looking for low cost solutions ???   what about it guys ???
> is this project worth the effort/cost/end result

///