RE: Ride on mowers (was RE: weed trimmers)

To: epetrevich@relavis.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ride on mowers (was RE: weed trimmers)
From: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:40:12 -0400

Try chains.  They work wonders for me.  I've gone just the opposite route as
the rest of the respondents.  I bought a 71 (or somewhere around there by
the S/N) Cub Cadet 126 lawn tractor.  12 HP Kohler, 48" deck.  It came with
a plow, blade, and disc.  This thing is absolutely indestructible.  Most of
the frame is 1/4" steel.  The deck is massive.  The motors been bored .040
over and the head was shaved for truing (don't remember how much) and it
just chugs away no matter what I do to it.  The only problems I've had are
when I get in the mud the weight sinks it quickly (the chains just let me
get stuck deeper :-).  It used to be a very poor climber.  Probably due to
the 30 year old tires, but the chains make it climb anything.  There's one
spot in the yard, that is always wet from a spring and it's a steep hill,
that I need to lean back to get more weight on the drive wheels for it to
keep moving.  BTW, I live in WV, where we consider the land level if you can
put a ball on the ground and it doesn't roll away :-)

///