Air compressors (Was: Sand-blasting and lead loading)

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air compressors (Was: Sand-blasting and lead loading)
From: Lee Hart <LeeHart@LeeHart.Com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:40:29 -0000
Fred Marks wrote:
>It also taxes a 6HP/80 gal compressor fairly hard.

I'm in the market for a 6-7.5 HP 80 gal compressor. I strongly prefer a 175
psi unit. I know that not all compressors are created equal, and I'd like to
get one that I should never need to replace yet should meet or exceed the
needs of one person's shop.

Over the top end of the scale is the Snap-On ACSL7580V2 (7.5 HP, 80 gal). It
claims 23.5 SCFM at 175 PSIG, but at $3086, it's more than I'm going to pay.
Oddly enough Snap-On also has a Blue-Point ACBLK6580V2 6.5 hp unit that has
a claimed 160 SCFM @ 175 PSIG. I don't believe that number, but at least the
$1615 price is merely high, not obscene. Ingersoll-Rand and Campbell
Hausfeld also have compressors in this range, with good specs (better than
Snap-On's specs).

Does anyone have any bad experiences to relate for compressors from these
manufacturers? How about references for good, solid, quiet compressors?

I've looked at the compressors sold by Home Depot, etc. but I'm not
thoroughly convinced that they are as solid as these units, and they are
more than half the cost.

Thanks,

Lee

///