Re: Porto-Power Units

To: "Thomas J." <tomph@ispchannel.com>
Subject: Re: Porto-Power Units
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:17:16 -0400 (EDT)
Tom:

Up until last year, I had a 4-ton unit that is/was the same as what HF
sells.  I bought it locally from a tool supplier dealing in similar
equipment.  I had it for 18 years or so.  I never had leaking problems at
the seals.  I broke it by extending it too far; the load wasn't evenly
distributed, so when it got too far out, it bent over and broke inside the
ram.  Operator error. Before that, I've used it for frame straightening,
lifting concrete steps, moving boulders, lifting my shed.

I plan to get another one as soon as I have a particular need for it.  They
seem to be readily available for good prices.

Jim

At 12:39 PM 5/20/01 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Looking for info on porto power units. Seems there are a ton of them on the
>net with prices that range from $89 to $300+ for the 4-ton units. Anyone
>have experience with the cheaper units? How do the seals stand up? Any
>brands I should stay away from?
>
>Also, I'm looking for a unit that comes with a chain and adapter that screws
>on the ram. I causes the chain to pull when the ram expands. I've only seen
>it on a Snap-on industrial unit. Does anyone know where you can get just the
>chain, adapter, and pinch clamps and can they be added to a Blackhawk or
>compatible unit.
>
>Thanks
>Tom P

///