RE: short or tall drill press

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: short or tall drill press
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:59:50 -0700
Joe :

I have one of the Chinese floor mount models (from Enco), I'm reasonably
pleased with it.  I frequently do things that could not be done (at least
not the way I do them) with a bench mount model.  To improve stability, I
have two lengths of 2x4 bolted to the base as 'feet'.  I've never had a
problem with stability while using it, although it did start to come over
once when I fell on the power cord while chasing a part that had fallen
behind it.

If you buy Chinese cr*p, I'd suggest checking the unit for spindle run-out
first, then insisting on buying the one you looked at.  I've worked on mine
several times, it still has more run-out than I would like.  I still feel it
was a good deal (I could not afford a good one at the time), but ...

Randall

Joe Flake wrote :

> So how often do you do stuff on your floor mount
> drill press which the same unit in bench mount
> couldn't handle?

///