short or tall drill press

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: short or tall drill press
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:58:37 EDT
I'm considering a new drill press to replace
the very old, very small one I've used for MANY
years.

I'm toying between the bench models versus the floor
models.  For a given brand, seems to be the same
thing except for the longer column.

The floor mount (ie tall) units obviously have
it covered as far as what it might drill, but
they seem to be a bit unsteady unless you're willing
to screw them to the floor (and I don't really
want to do that).  And the bench models save
a few $$ on price.

So how often do you do stuff on your floor mount
drill press which the same unit in bench mount
couldn't handle?

Any specific brands to avoid or look for?

Thanks,
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com

///