Re: DIY Natural Gas Appliances

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DIY Natural Gas Appliances
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:37:14 EST
> But are you sure the CO meter works?  Have you tested it?  Turn the car on
> in the garage and see if it reads amything....

Timely set of messages after seeing my CO detector go wild last
night.  It's been there for about a year, and never showed anything
other than "0" on the indicator.  But last night I caught it at
"27", then "55", then "114"!  Panic, until I thought about my
earlier afternoon/evening activities.  I spent several hours in
the garage with my kerosene heater going, and then cranked the car
for a few minutes after getting things back together.  All with
the garage door closed.  Don't know if the kitchen/garage door was
left open for a few minutes by mistake or if there's some air leakage
to the bonus room over the garage.  But the upstairs CO meter
just didn't like it!

Once the level went up, the CO meter was picky for a long time
after.  Open windows and time brought the count back down.

I spent some time searching and reading, and found that a freshly
cranked cold vehicle can push the CO level in a garage to
over 200 in two minutes!
Won't kill you right away, but with enough time...

I knew better, but thought just a few minutes wouldn't matter.
Lesson learned!

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com