Re: Lincoln Floor Jacks

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Lincoln Floor Jacks
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@avaya.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:24:58 -0500
Richard Beels wrote:

> It's the cheesy, no longer made in america jack.  that's why it's 199
> instead of 299.   I bought a Norma jack.  made in china but with japanese
> seals.  $125 or so.  has been very nice to use.  Only mod has been to weld
> a square tube to the top of the "cheater bar extension" but I've done that
> to ever floor jack I've ever owned.  Also got the floor jack stands and
> they've done well.  Welded a plate for the flat bottom effect.....

First off I don't want to start a thread about China bashing, Japan
bashing,
etc.  Now, with that said, I have been thinking about jacks.  I have a
jack that was made in china.  The supplier was Harbor Freight.  Yes I
know, you get what you pay for, but I debated long and hard before I
bought this jack.  It was the only jack I could find that had such a
high lift, so I took a chance.  The thing goes from 7 inches to about 32
inches.  That is a lot of lift.  The problem I have with the jack is the
seals started to leak after about 20 to 50 lifts.  I live with the
problem.
I park it over cardboard (just like my MG) and add jack oil when needed.

Someday I will replace that jack and I want a good old made in the
USA jack, with good seals and a high lift.  Any idea how to avoid
cheap junk?  I also looked at the Lincoln Jack at Costco, but it seemed
to cheap (price wise) and it did not lift high enough.

There seems to be a trend of quality manufactures, such as, Lincoln,
Miller, Ingersoll-Rand, putting their name on cheaper products and
selling
them to the mass market.  A couple of months ago I bought some IR
impact sockets.  I was quite surprised to find that they only had the
IR paper packaging, but the sockets themselves were stamped with another
name and were made in Taiwan.  I figured that IR would be IR.  I guess
I was wrong.

I think when it comes time to buy a Mig welder I will go to the local
welding supply house and pay the extra dollars.

Bill Gilroy

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
wmgilroy.vcf]