93 Jeep GC idle problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: 93 Jeep GC idle problem
From: Jeeptoys@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:09:20 EST
I have a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 liter.  I have had nothing but idle
problems since purchasing it new.  It has been to the dealer a number of
times with little or no improvement.  The engine will stumble and die at low
RPM, most often after initial start up when the engine if less than fully
warmed up.  Coming up to stops, the engine will die.  Repeated starts will
follow.  I can nurse the throttle to keep the RPMs up above 500 - 600 and the
vehicle is drivable.  When the vehicle slows (engine load decreases) the RPMs
drop and the engine stops.

I have replaced the throttle position switch yearly since purchasing the
vehicle.  Most of the time the switch replacement will temporarily fix the
problem for 6-12 months, then the idle problem returns.  Testing the suspect
switches with a multimeter reveals few clues.  Using contact cleaner on the
switch has no effect.

Is anyone aware of this problem on other JGCs?  I have a hard time believing
that the nearly $100 TPS from my friendly neighborhood Jeep dealer is of such
poor quality that it needs to be replaced every 6 - 12 months.

How about it fellow listers, have any thoughts on the subject?  Am I only
treating the symptom of some other underlying problem?  Any thoughts on what
may be causing the premature failure of the switch?

Regards, Kevin