now I'm all confused

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: now I'm all confused
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:24:59 -0800
I'm trying to pre-wire the "back porch" of my garage for an eventual
welder purchase - I have in mind to buy an EconoTig or 180SD or Synchro
250; I expect that I will have occasion to weld 1/8 aluminum, which is
why I want the TIG.

The problem, of course, is current; the subpanel in the garage is only
70A.  I had budgeted a 50A outlet for the welder, with #6 wire.

For some reason, I had convinced myself that this requires 1" conduit.
I was looking in my NEC tables today and see that 4 conductors of #6
THHN will go in 3/4" conduit ... too bad I've already hung a bunch of
1" conduit and fittings! (I was about to get some 6/3 romex for the
covered work ... now I'm wondering if I should make it 4/3 for future
expansion...)

Three questions, then:

1. What sort of cord set comes on these welders? This is "old work", so
I can get away with a 3blade stove/dryer outlet at 50A in a single gang
box, with a fairly standard Bell weather cover.

2/3. Should I go to #4 wire and a 60A circuit? I've got the conduit in
place, at least part way, though it means a bigger box and weirder
weather cover.  I guess the real question is whether or not I'll be
able to make reasonable use of the welder on a 50A circuit?

Thanks, chris