getting square

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: getting square
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:34:57 -0600
Inch,

The easiest way is clamp it..... tight before welding... that being nearly
impossible most of the time, I use a carpenter square and the magnet
hickeys...  get it where you want it and tack it...  when welding.. the
joint will pull toward the spot being welded...so if you weld an inside
corner, the angle will close up... Alternate your welds, checking with the
square often.

 I found a real good primer on welding boxes, tables etc the other day..
nice diagrams and good detail.  The author constructed a "true" 900 jig
from angle iron.  He made several in different lengths and thicknesses.  He
uses it to clamp his work to..  He then went on to describe how to weld up
the other three joints so it all "pulls" together correctly. He didn't just
work around the box welding... He did opposite corners I think... I'm
having a senior moment right now...

 I'll find the link tonite and forward to you.

john