Re: Auto Lifts

To: Rex Burkheimer <rex@wmautomotive.com>
Subject: Re: Auto Lifts
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:10:24 -0400
Rex Burkheimer wrote:

> >   After that, I just had to tighten the garage door
> > spring a few turns
>
> It probably should be mentioned here that adjusting those springs is not for
> the faint of heart.  I understand (not from experience) that they can bite
> you bigtime if you don't know what your are doing.

  You are correct. It's similar to undoing a coil
spring on a car: It can be done safely but it isn't
to be taken lightly.

  One thing that helped immensely, my father had just installed
a garage door so he had the know-how and also the correct
metal rods that fit exactly into the adjusting holes. Without
slop it makes it a lot safer; I wouldn't try it with just
a long screwdriver or whatever else fit in the hole.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca