Re: Auto Lifts

To: Michael Lye <mlye@risd.edu>
Subject: Re: Auto Lifts
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:19:01 -0400
Michael Lye wrote:

> Trevor,
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about the modifications to your garage
> door. Currently the track for one of my doors is just at head level when
> I walk in from the house (two steps down to the garage.) Haven't hit my
> head yet but it's just a matter of time

  (I sent Michael images, if anybody wants them I can sent
them as well)

  My garage door is typical, in that it goes up to about
six feet, then the track curves 90 degrees, so when it was up
the garage door was flat, about 8 feet off the ground.

  This wasn't good for the lift, because it smacks right into
the rear windscreen of the car on top.

  In my case, my garage was deep enough that the "corner" in
the track could stay where it was, all I was needed was the
"top" of the garage door to be closer to the ceiling when
it was raised.

  So all I did was to take the angle grinder, and cut
notches in the curved part of the track, then I straightened
it out so instead of curving 90 degrees it curved more
like 70 degrees. Then I welded up the notches again, ground
down some edges, and the track was done.

  The "top" ends of the track and the garage door opener
had to be moved up two feet to the ceiling, but that was
easy because it was mounted with that meccano-set steel
with many holes, so I just used a higher hole on every
piece and cut off the excess.

  After that, I just had to tighten the garage door
spring a few turns so it would hold the garage door
on the slant, adjust the limit switches for the opener,
and it was done.

  When open, my garage door is now only about 6 inches from the
ceiling, and the car on the hoist will hit the roof before it
comes into the plane of the garage door. (that's good for
safety, so I don't open the door to get some fresh air
and crunch something)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca