Re: Speaking of codes...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of codes...
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:43:08 -0400

Well, it has come very far to deal with those problems.  First of, if you
neighbor is using it as well, you just need to change "house codes".  They
have X10 logging tools so you can find what signals are being sent when to
find out the source of "unwanted" codes.
Note: if there is a transformer between you and your neighbor, you will not
have that problem.

Power outages are still a problem, but they are rare around here

Yes, properly placed light switches work great, but you still can't get the
programmability of X10.  Also, the fact that you don't need to rewire the
house is a major plus.

Inch

mailto:epetrevich@relavis.com

                    Derek Harling

                    <derek.lola@sympatic        To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net
                    o.ca>                       cc:     epetrevich@relavis.com,
Rex Burkheimer
                    Sent by:                    <rex@wmautomotive.com>

                    shop-talk-owner@auto        Subject:     Re: Speaking of
codes...
                    x.team.net

                    09/22/00 08:34 PM

                    Please respond to

                    Derek Harling

Sounds great (in theory) but have they solved the problem of the
neighbor's garage door opener turning on all your lights (and stereo and
compressor) - and of momentary power outages doing the same?  I too
thought the idea was great - until I tried it. Well positioned manual
switches are a fantastic invention worth trying (as long as you don't
forget your passport!).
Derek

epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot that X-10 isn't that popular yet.
>
> First off, a great place to start is http://www.x10.com  If you live near
> Radio Shack, they carry it as well.
>
> x10 is a standard transceiver language that works on existing AC wires in
> your home.  It allows you to control any outlet or fixture from any other
> point in the home.  It basically is a "home automation" solution without
> the need to rewire the whole house.
>
> Example, in my last shop, I had 5 different light switches to turn on and
> off each time I went in or out.  By replacing the switches with X10
> compatible switches, and adding a "controller" near the door, I could
> program the different "routines" for each button on the controller.  I
had
> one that turned on all the lights, the stereo, the air compressor and the
> dust collector.  Another one that only turned on selected lights (in case
> just needed to run into the shop to grab something), and others to turn
on
> any light by itself.  No matter which one I used, I only had to touch one
> button to turn everything off.
>
> X10 is getting alot more advanced.  I have a computer program that
> interfaces with my home electrical system.  I can turn on/off any device
> from my system.  Plus I have macros that I can run.
> In the old house, I would hit one button in the den and the main lights
> would dim to 40%, the accent lights ramped up to 40%, the mini blinds
> closed and the DVD player turned on. (and yes, I have had to "reboot" my
> house! 8>))
>
> >From a security prospective its great.  You can put your house in
"learn"
> mode.  It basically can learn your daily routine of electrical use.
Then,

<epetrevich@relavis.com>,
>                     <rex@wmautomo        <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
>                     tive.com>            cc:
>                                          Subject:     Re: Speaking of
codes...
>                     09/22/00
>                     09:47 AM
>                     Please
>                     respond to
>                     "Rex
>                     Burkheimer"
>

> what is an X10 Solution??
>
> I'm about to put lighting into my shop, too.
>
> Rex Burkheimer
> Marketing Director, WM Automotive Warehouse
> Fort Worth TX    rex@wmautomotive.com
> "Genius is nurtured in solitude, character in the social stream." --
Goethe

&nbsp;(Note: