"Citrol": D-limonene; was Re: Solvent/gloves

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: "Citrol": D-limonene; was Re: Solvent/gloves
From: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:37:10 -0500
The "citrol" solvent (not really a solvent --- it's a *solute*, which is
dissolved in a solvent---water, in this case) is available from many
different sources in varying forms.  Several different lubricating oil
companies distribute it, and they get it from places like
Schaeffer Oil (see http://www.schaefferoil.com/products/specialty.html) or
Cargill (see  http://www.techoils.cargill.com/products/dlimonene.htm).

But these places will only sell you a tank car load or at least a 55-gal
drum.  If you want the pure compound, which has the common name
"D-limonene" (i.e. (R)-1-methyl-4-(1-methylethenyl)cyclohexene) you can get
it in 1qt, 1gal, or 5gal pails from The Chemistry Store at
 http://www.chemistrystore.com/dlimonene.htm
One gallon will cost you $9.59; 5 gallons is $42.63.  I suspect that the
pure stuff will go a long way!  It has the fortunate EPA label of "GRAS",
i.e. "generally regarded as safe", which saves you a bunch of shipping
headaches.

This stuff is used for *all* sorts of applications, including dog shampoo,
insecticides, hand cleaners, industrial degreasers, etc.  It's "GRAS"
rating makes it very easy to procure and dispose of (down the drain).

You can find all sorts of information on the web by searching for the word
"limonene".

-Lee "yes, I am a chemist" Daniels

   Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
   daniels@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University
   '74 TR6  '88 XJ6                         http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191