RE: new hammer drill needed

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: new hammer drill needed
From: "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:15:20 -0400
[snip]
> Cordless
> tool batteries have a limited life. I don;t know what the other folks
> experience is, but I would count on replacing the batteries
> every couple of
> years.  This is not an insignificant cost.

I agree. You may be able to reduce the cost somewhat though
if you can figure out how to get the battery case apart.
I figure if the thing will no longer take a charge, might
as well see what makes it tick. A dremel is a wonderful
tool for this type of stuff.  :)  Many of the cordless
tools that I've seen, use the 'Sub C' cell. You can
buy them at Radio Shack or any other electronic store.
My cell phone uses the AA nicads. I was able to rig some
alkalines. The alkalines lasted almost 6 months with the
little use that the phone gets.
My B&D cordless vac has had new batteries about three
times, while the Sears cordless screwdriver has had new
batteries about four times so far. The screwdriver gears are
getting worn though, so might be an excuse for me to get
a new one.

Brian
brian.lynfatt@eds.com