Re: Gravel driveway

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gravel driveway
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:58:57 -0400

Just a few weeks ago, I posted about pouring concrete in the new garage at
my new house.  When looking for other options, I had a trusted friend (who
paves driveways for a living) come over and I asked him if he could pave
*inside* the garage.  He said "no problem".
Note: this garage is for parking cars in only, all work to vehicles is done
in the shop, with a proper floor.

So, it looks like that is my decision.  What they do is scrape the ground
to solid earth.  Then pour aggregate (sp?) and tamp it with a rolling
tamper.  Then pave over this.  They did this at my parents house 26 years
ago and there are still no cracks.  They did it at my last house 6 years
ago with no cracks either.

If anyone is in the central New Jersey area and it looking for a paver, I
can get you a good price as well! 8>)

The important thing it to think about how you want to pitch the driveway
for water flow.

Inch
mailto:epetrevich@relavis.com

                    "Peter Schauss"

                    <schauss@worldnet.at        To:
<shop-talk@autox.team.net>
                    t.net>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Gravel driveway

                    shop-talk-owner@auto

                    x.team.net

                    08/02/00 07:40 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "Peter Schauss"

I need to extend my blacktop driveway in order to be able to park
my "regular" cars where they will not block the entrance to the garage.
The extended area will be about 20'x30'.

I am considering a number of options ranging from hiring someone to
do the black top to putting in some sort of gravel or blue stone.
If I choose the latter option, how deep should I dig the area out
and what types of fill material would be likely to work best?

tia,

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY
1963 BJ7