Re: Blast Cabinets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blast Cabinets
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:52:28 -0400
At 05:33 PM 7/11/01 -0700, Stuart MacMillan wrote:

>As is always the case, I want/need more tools than I can afford, and the
>latest requirement is a blast cabinet big enough for LBC wheels.  New
>ones are pricey, and I am considering building my own from the kit and
>plans supplied by TIP Tools,
>http://tiptools.com/cabinets/parts/cab_kit_plans/build_your_own.html,
>but I figure that will cost about $400 and take a couple of weekends
>away from my other projects.
>
>Any experience out there finding used cabinets?  Has anyone built the
>TIP plywood one?

I have a small plastic cabinet (actually the larger plastic one) from Harbor
Freight, and my dad has a Snap-ON metal one.  However, I can't get a wheel
in my small cabinet and I don't think one will fit in my dads.

What I do for larger items like that is:

1. I purchased a pressure blaster from Harbor Freight.
2. Go to the corner of my fence near my garage and tie a piece of rope
   diagonally across the corner - about 10' on the diag or so.
3. Purchased a large plastic tarp and clothes pin it to the rope to form
   a curtain and floor (the plastic forms a large "L").
4. I lay the large item I want to blast on the bottom of the "L", I also
   put a couple of bricks on the bottom of the "L" to keep it from getting
   blown around.
5. Use the pressure blaster (I wear a cloth hood - from Northern Hydrolics)
   and try to have the sand richocet off the item to the back of the "L".

I can recycle better than 80% of my sand this way.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org