Re: a weighty question

To: jniolon@uss.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a weighty question
From: Scott <scott@thehinckleys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:32:46 -0700
At 15:35 07/10/2000 -0500, jniolon@uss.com wrote:
>"What do you do with the large collection of tools you have accumulated
>over a lifetime of work when you can no longer use them?"

This is an excellent question.

>I have a <son and a daughter> with
>no mechanical ability
>My one option is my new(est) son-in-law who has spoken of an interest in
>racing and cars, but I've yet to see his toolbox...  I'll judge his
>worthiness by how he keeps HIS tools.

This is pretty much the exact same situation my father-in-law is in.
Fortunately we have now been able to work on a couple of (wood-based, he
doesn't really do cars) projects together and have learned much from each
other.

>... not even including the truck I'm trying to build
>(or the dream of a truck).  My one hope is for a grandson/daughter that
>will appreciate this fortune.  And not for it's monetary value alone.  I
>have tools that belonged to my granddad and dad and uncles that mean more
>to me than the keys to a Snap-On truck...(nearly).  Hopefully before I
>leave this sorry world I can impart the appreciation of this "stuff" as my
>wife calls it... to either the son-in-law or grand child... or perhaps a
>more realistic view would be grandchild THRU son-in-law.

That is the right idea.  I would suggest that, regardless of your
son-in-law's tools condition, you try spending some time with him using
your/his tools. You may teach him the proper respect and treatment of the
tools. He will get a vested interest in, and appreciation of, the tools and
their hisstory.

>As a backup plan I hope to inventory this collection with a value attached
>to each item so if I depart before my time, Peggy and the kids won't be
>screwed over by some unscrupulous flea-market/yard sale thief when they try
>to dispose of my lifes work.

If you absolutely fail to find the right family member (have you looked
elsewhere in your family tree yet?) maybe you should try to find a home for
these tools before you leave for the shop in the sky. Find friends that
could appreciate them and work out the details ahead of time in your will.
Even with a guiding value attached to each tool it is VERY hard to fetch a
fair price for them. Even more so when there is a garage full.

>  It's a shame that there isn't a master craftsman somewhere who teaches
>young mechanics/welders/fabricators and who has a place that needs this
>type of donation.  I'd hesitate to leave it to a tech school or high school
>shop.  I would wonder if any of it would ever get off the
>teacher/administrator's truck...  it is perplexing...

I don't know how much they need new stuff (I bet they do), but Jay Leno has
started a school just for this purpose.

Another issue is space. I now stand to inherit all my father-in-laws
considerable wood-working equipment. He has already started passing some
pieces to me (so that I won't have to buy my own). My problem will be
finding a place to put it to use. I live in a big city on a small lot with
no garage. My current storage method is two friends that both know how to
use the equipment, I just go to their places when I need to use it. When I
receive the entire collection I will need to haul it cross-country and rent
a space, or get a new house out of town. I already have some plans on how
to deal with this (hopefully MANY years away), but it is an issue you need
to think about ahead of time.

Good Luck,
Scott