Re: a weighty question

To: jniolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: a weighty question
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:23:49 -0700
jniolon@uss.com wrote:

> A thought came up the other day when I was considering my mortality about
> my "stuff."   I then read a Pete Egan article about his going to an estate
> sale that offered a life-times collection of a man's tools. Please
> understand I am not planning on having to deal with this particular problem
> anytime in the near-term and I am not suggesting the same of you...but the
> question is
>
> "What do you do with the large collection of tools you have accumulated
> over a lifetime of work when you can no longer use them?"

With money, the advice is to give with warm hands.  If it's important to
pass the tools to your offspring, and the offspring does not appreciate
them, sell them to someone who values them and give your children the
money...

> I have spent way too much time pondering this question.  I have a son with
> no mechanical ability being a phychologist he wrenches peoples minds
> instead of cars, a daughter who will only soil her hands with chocolate.
> My one option is my new(est) son-in-law who has spoken of an interest in
> racing and cars, but I've yet to see his toolbox...  I'll judge his
> worthiness by how he keeps HIS tools.
>
> I've accumulated quite a collection,... it's almost scary sometimes when
> I've realized that my garage has been unlocked for three days...   With
> welders (wire & stick ) torches/bottles, plasma cutter, jacks, lifts,
> stands, every hand tool I could beg borrow or steal or buy... sometimes
> times two....or three...  pumps , parts washers, power tools... hell, I've
> got more vise grip pliers than some have tools total...   It's s
> troublesome problem.... not even including the truck I'm trying to build
> (or the dream of a truck).  My one hope is for a grandson/daughter that
> will appreciate this fortune.  And not for it's monetary value alone.  I
> have tools that belonged to my granddad and dad and uncles that mean more
> to me than the keys to a Snap-On truck...(nearly).  Hopefully before I
> leave this sorry world I can impart the appreciation of this "stuff" as my
> wife calls it... to either the son-in-law or grand child... or perhaps a
> more realistic view would be grandchild THRU son-in-law.

If your desire is pass the knowledge on with the tools then you have to
establish a relationship with the beneficiary.  In your case, a tool
based
relationship.  Determine the needs of the beneficiary and start
using your tools and skills to meet their needs

Give the beneficiary the knowledge with the tools.  Remember, you're
taking
care of the basic needs of the beneficiary.  For example, that means
building a
low-rider that the beneficiary desires rather than the truck you want
for yourself.

> As a backup plan I hope to inventory this collection with a value attached
> to each item so if I depart before my time, Peggy and the kids won't be
> screwed over by some unscrupulous flea-market/yard sale thief when they try
> to dispose of my lifes work.
>
> As a backup/backup plan, Peter Egan's idea doesn't sound too bad... Egan,
> who is childless, decided to leave all his stuff to " some youngster he
> comes upon who has a rusty screwdriver in his pocket and maybe a worn-out
> pair of pliers trying to work on a lawnmower engine;  whose eyes light up
> when he hears a motorcycle pass by or sees a set of wire-wheels flash in
> the sunlight."    I think he is too much of a dreamer, but it is an
> interesting/disturbing question.
>
>  It's a shame that there isn't a master craftsman somewhere who teaches
> young mechanics/welders/fabricators and who has a place that needs this
> type of donation.  I'd hesitate to leave it to a tech school or high school
> shop.  I would wonder if any of it would ever get off the
> teacher/administrator's truck...  it is perplexing...
Sounds like you're the craftsman.  Have you thought about being the
teacher?
And why restrict your gifts to your family?  Is there someone out who's
already
walking on the same path as yourself who would love your experience as
well as
your tools?  Find out who appreciates them and give 'em a deal.  There's
better chance that your equipment will end up in the hands of someone
who
cares about this stuff as much as you do.

A used tool is only that unless you've seen it in use by the original
owner.
I can still see my old man breaking concrete with a ten pound sledge.
It's
a wonderful hammer.

> your thoughts please, gentlemen ????  and no you can't have my tools now
> !!!
Yeah, but the people on this list are the ones who'd really appreciate
'em!
Tease us with what great stuff you've got and make us pay top dollar on
Ebay.

Regards,
Steve Shipley