Re: Turning brake rotor -> carparts.com

To: tw@texas.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turning brake rotor -> carparts.com
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:54:32 EST
In a message dated 2/21/00 4:08:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, tw@texas.net
writes:

<< I'm blessed with reasonably competent nearby parts folks, but have been
 seeing TV ads for wrenchhead.com and now this reference.  Have others had
 any experience with these? I suppose it might make good sense for things
 where there isn't much challenge in matching parts (like brake rotors
 maybe). >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually, it was bit of a challenge to order the correct rotors for my
Mitsubishi, and I wound up with the wrong ones, although I was able to use
them.  There are several years and models of Mitsubishi Expos, including FWD,
All wheel drive, ABS, no ABS, rear disks, rear drums, etc.  I chose the one
with my config, but when I received them there were two holes missing in the
centers.  These holes go over two screw heads that hold the ABS stuff in
place.  I used a drill press and drilled the missing holes.

They were $98.36 for the pair from carparts.com, but I got the 1/3 discount
for becoming a "member" and that made them $52.72.  (My calculator figures
the price should have been $65.57, but I'm not going to press the point.)
The same rotors from Pep Boys are $84.00 each, so I saved about $115.00.  I
can't beat it with a stick!

As to the shipping problem I had...I also ordered a starter for my Midget.  I
received a box with an axle for a Saab 900 instead.  I got an RA and returned
it.  They credited my charge card for the shipping.  I called to find out
when they were going to ship the starter and they had lost the order.  ITMT I
received the rotors and installed them.

A week later I received the starter and two more rotors.  I called again for
an RA for the extra rotors, and they are sending a UPS call tag instead.
(They are still sitting in my office.)  They assured me I was not double
billed for the starter or the rotors, but I will check my next credit card
bill carefully.

So that's my story and I'm stuck with it.  I can't say that carparts.com had
stellar performance as a company, but I don't think I was screwed and I will
use them again.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget