Re: Turning brake rotor

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turning brake rotor
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:57:51 -0800

Tim Mullen wrote:

> I find if strange that all the ads for "brake jobs" on the TV and newspaper
> always include turning the rotors/drums in the price.

IMO this is so they can sell you new rotors/drums at an inflated price.
I once had a national chain insist that an almost-new rotor (less than
5000 miles) was too thin to turn.  I also once asked to just have a drum
turned in such a place, and they admitted they didn't have a working
brake lathe ... they always replaced them.

I'm sure this isn't official policy, but at the very least, upper
management looks the other way.

Randall