Re: Turning brake rotor

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>,
Subject: Re: Turning brake rotor
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:28:39 -0800
 >It is for this reason that perfectly concentric waves and grooves are not a
 >reason to turn a disc.  Only two conditions require turning:  1) Roughness
 >which eats pads rather than offers proper friction.  2)  Runout due to
 >improper manufacture or warpage which causes vibration or pulsing in the

   hmmmm, ok now what do I do ? I did check runout and my drums are ok but
since the car had not run in over 20 years they have mild surface rust that
I removed most of with a wire brush on a electric drill, should they be
turned ?

  I had assumed that since the runout was good and I cleaned up the large
majority of the surface rust that the brakes would clean up the rest of the
drums.  This is a 30's British car so it needs all the help it can get on
the brakes.  I could not get new drums and to removes ALL the rust, they
would no longer be any good.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing ~~~~~~~and \/    \/  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                              .oooO  Oooo.
Bug Writer er...Programmer            (   )   (   )
                                                        \_)  (_/
              webmaster@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/