Re: telephone in the shop?

To: bob bownes <bownes@rns1.web9.com>, sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Subject: Re: telephone in the shop?
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:03:36 -0400
Group,

         As an "old" Bell Canada telephone installer, I have been following
this thread and must comment. In the earlier days when there were party
lines, (two subscribers to a single line), the Yellow was always connected
to ground and so three wires were required and the "ring" power (~90VDC)
was supplied to either the red or the green depending on which party was
being called with the completed circuit going to ground.

Also:

"R"ing was "R"ed
Green was Tip
Yellow was ground
Black was "Extra" and usually not used.

         Today the red and green are used for one line and if two distinct
phone lines are in your home, the yellow and black are used for the second
line. I also found out the hard way recently that it does make a difference
which way the lines are connected to the modern phones as I had to reverse
the red and green to make an extension work. Polarity is important.

Later,
Bob

At 09:38 AM 2/14/2000 -0500, bob bownes wrote:

>green - ring
>red - tip
>black - ring2
>yellow - tip2
>
>While the wires coming into the house may appear black, take another
>look at them. They are usually a black jacket over a green or red inner liner.
>
>But that's probably more than ya'll really wanted to know.
>
>Bob

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon 1953-1954
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
Home Page: www.navnet.net/~hamilton
BATANS Home Page: www.batans.ns.ca
E-Mail: hamilton@cast.navnet.net