Re: telephone in the shop?

To: bob bownes <bownes@rns1.web9.com>
Subject: Re: telephone in the shop?
From: David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:53:50 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, bob bownes wrote:

> Yellow/black has been used for a number of things over the years, the most
> notable being the use to provide power on *some* early lighted dial phones,
> mostly in the independent telephone comapny territories (GTE especially).
> Today, yellow/black is typically the second phone line.

The original TrimLine phones from WECO received power to light the key
buttons from the other pair, which was powered -- at least in AT&T-land --
by a transformer somewhere near the entry point of the telephone wiring.  If
you have a house of a certain age, you may still have one of these wired in.

If you are installing new wire, do yourself a favor and pull CAT-5.  The
cost difference is quite low, and no one has ever complained about having
too many pairs.  I'd pull two separate cables everywhere, but I have 100Mbps
switched ethernet in my apartment, so it is possible that I am a bit odd
about these sort of things.

David Scheidt