Re: My First Real Tool Box! - Organization?

To: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: My First Real Tool Box! - Organization?
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:07:58 -0500
Lee Daniels wrote:

> MY QUESTION: How does one go about organizing your tools? Suggestions for
> what best goes in the shallow drawers vs. the deeper ones?  How do I keep
> that very top compartment (with the lid) from becoming a junk collection?!?
> Should I sort them by field, i.e. metal working, woodworking, electrical
> tools?

Was given one for my 60th so have just been through the same exercise.

Four recommendations -
 - 1 - do NOT try to put in too much
 - 2 - be flexible, your reqiurements will change
 - 3 - organise sockets by making your own compartments, organise
wrenches by making your own slots in aluminum angle or channel
[commercial organizers take up too much room] - takes a day or so to do
but well worth it
 - 4 - leave the top "tray" basically empty - then use it for whatever
you are working on or with - keeps the bench much tidier - and a real
godsend at the race track.

Derek