Re: My First Real Tool Box! - Organization?

To: "Mike Sloane" <msloane@att.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My First Real Tool Box! - Organization?
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:44:28 -0800
I have a Craftsman 12 chest & 12 drawer rollaway. After studying how I
wanted my tools laid out I settled on the following:
1.    All drawers are lined on the bottom with cork
2.    Almost all drawers have a plywood floor on top of the cork.
3.    One drawer at a time, I laid out each item on top of the plywood and
marked the shape of the tool. Then I (rather laboriously) cut out the shape
(either cut through the plywood or routed out the shape depending on the
tool).
4.    Sized tools (13mm, 14mm, 9/16", etc): I marked on the plywood where
each tool went.
Each tool now has it's own location.
Upper left drawer: 1/4" drive sockets, std and metric. Upper right: hand
made (home made) specialty tools.
Full width drawer: metric combo, open end and box end wrenches
Full width drawer: Std combo, open and box wrenches.
Full width drawer: Specialty std wrenches.
Rollaway: FWD: screwdrivers    FWD: all 3/8" sockets (metric and std) FWD:
all 1/2" sockets
FWD: larger metric wrenches    FWD: larger std wrenches    and so on and so
on.....
A couple drawers near the bottom hold heavy stuff, tap/die set, 3/4" breaker
bar, etc, etc.

This system enables me to maintain my inventory at all times (knock on wood,
my 23 year old 635 piece toolset is still intact; plus a few hundred
more...). The other thing I have in the shop is one of the wifes old,
discarded cookie sheets. Every tool goes onto this sheet and gets wiped down
before it goes back in the box. (The boy child left a tool out once. Another
time put one away without wiping it off.... He later told me the Nurses in
ICU are UUUGGGGLLLLLLYYYYYY!!).

I may be kind of anal about my tools, but then; some of them were personal
gifts from Al Cadrobbi when he taught me to work on 4 cammers!
    Carl