Re: Merry Christmas!!

To: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Merry Christmas!!
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <rex@txol.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 08:26:20 -0600
Steve
    Sorry for your loss. Had that happen to me in May, bastids broke into my
shop and took EVERYthing of ANY value - $3500 worth, most of it new.
But...once I found out my insurance would cover it, I got to go on a
tool-shopping binge!!

Anyway, the short version:

For anything but the most serious professional use, Craftsman combination
wrenches, Craftsman screwdrivers are an excellent value.
I bought Craftsman socket set - - 119 pcs for $99 - and wished I hadn't. The
previous set was Blackhawk , and they were much better made for the same
price. Better case too.   Biggest problem I have with either of those is
that the sizes of each socket is stamped so small I can barely read them.
But the Blackhawk sockets and ratchets were of better quality - good enough
for me.  The ideal would be to buy Snap-On sockets, of course. The ratchets
are another deal, and I think that's been covered exhaustively this week.
  I've found that once you get into wrenches over about 1", cheapos work
just fine. Precision isn't nearly as critical in that range, and I use them
too seldom to justify buying top-quality.
  Torque Wrenches: I have a Craftsman for engine work, though I've never
used it, and a HF $10 one for wheel nuts.
   That's my $.02,    YMMV.

 Have fun shopping :)

Rex Burkheimer
 J-CON Coordinator, WM Automotive Whse      Fort Worth TX
Texas Region SCCA     FC #19  Reynard
rex@txol.net  rburkheimer@hotmail.com

Gravity...It's Not Just a Good Idea.  It's the Law.
"There is pleasure sure in being mad which none but madmen know."  John
Dryden