Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?

To: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Subject: Re: OK, then...whose ratchets?
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:52:45 -0500
thom kuby wrote:
> I think we all agree that Craftman quality "taint whot it used ta be"

I think they've shifted their focus away from the "toolheads" and to
the "general home-fixit handyman guy".  Look at all the new universal
tools they are coming out with.

> "if it's in your hand alot - get the best,   Otherwise learn to live with
> the tradeoffs".
> I intend to buy (soon-like right after the holidays) Snap-On ratchets in
> 3/8 and 1/4 drives, as these are the most frequently used pieces in my
> cabinet.  I can live with other lines of wrenches, screwdrivers etc...but
> ratchets? I have a real thing about good ratchets now.  I've heard and read
> some good things about Facom. Any comments there? how about any other
> high-end quality ratchets? any other reccomendations?

I recently bought an SK TUFF-1 1/2" ratchet from A&I Supply.
(http://www.ai-supply.com/ --I have no affiliation, blah, blah...)
I have been *very* happy with it.  At least one friend has asked for
one for Christmas after using mine.  It's incredibly tough... 72 teeth
for fine turning increments, and the documentation says that there are
at least 17 teeth engaged at once when you're turning.  This thing
feels stronger and more solid than my breaker bar!  It was around $45
for the big, long (15" handle), swivel-headed 1/2" drive model.
Considering how happy I've been with this ratchet, I'm probably going
to get the 3/8" and 1/4" TUFF-1 ratchets as well.  I haven't yet seen
another ratchet which impressed me as much.  The price, at least what
I saw at A&I, isn't even all that much more than the "normal"
ratchets.  Heck, I priced up the Kobalt ratchets at the new Loews in
town and they were only a couple bucks cheaper than the SK TUFF-1's!
:o

I agree with Richard Beels... the Sears ratchets I have are sitting
around waiting for my SKs to break... and from what I've seen they'll
be waiting good and long.  Seems like I might have found the
indestructible Sears ratchet. :)

Oh, and the Facom ratchets he mentions are called the "Palm Control",
and I've used them as well, and they are _really_ nice as well.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster