OK, then...whose ratchets?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: OK, then...whose ratchets?
From: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:45:13 +0100
Guys,
I think we all agree that Craftman quality "taint whot it used ta be"

Sounds like the biggest bitch is with the ratchets...
I can certainly agree with that: my 3/8 drive gets a lot of use and it
really is a piece of shit;  it skips teeth a lot.

It's a real shame too, as this ratchet is otherwise nicely finished and
seems to be pretty well balanced...The 3/8 craftsman I had before this one
was even worse...which is why I got the one I have now -about five years
ago...

my own take on all this tool quality is this:
"if it's in your hand alot - get the best,   Otherwise learn to live with
the tradeoffs".
I intend to buy (soon-like right after the holidays) Snap-On ratchets in
3/8 and 1/4 drives, as these are the most frequently used pieces in my
cabinet.  I can live with other lines of wrenches, screwdrivers etc...but
ratchets? I have a real thing about good ratchets now.  I've heard and read
some good things about Facom. Any comments there? how about any other
high-end quality ratchets? any other reccomendations?

cheers - happy holidays
Thom Kuby