Re: Tool for a loved one

To: BURL VIBERT <burl.vibert@goodyear.com>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:09:48 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, BURL VIBERT wrote:

>  I don't think Sears manufactures anything themselves, I would imagine that
> Sears owns the dies for all their hand tools and simply contracts out the
> forging, (or whatever process is needed).  I haven't checked lately but at one
> time the better Craftsman drills were identical to Dewalt which is actually
> Black & Decker.

I know lots of the craftsman stuff is rebadged; the air tools are ir and
cp, and the power tools are like you said.  the compressors are
devilbliss, and most of sears' kenmore line is someone else's, too, but I
never could figure out who makes the hand tools.  I used to think s-k, but
having bought some s-k stuff, I doubt it.  nobody else could afford, even
in massive quantites, to let sears sell them for the prices they do.  and
having since seen the kobalt/snap-on/williams set up, I figures that's
what sears was doing--paying someone's foundry to make craftsman tools at
cheaper and lower quality levels.  but this bidding idea is even better.
why pay more when you can go to the lowest bidder, and the tool geeks
(who care about good quality tools) have given up on you and gone
elsewhere?

scott