Re: Tool for a loved one

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 16:25:00 -0500
At 11:37 AM 11/20/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, I figured out what my girlfriend wants more than anything this
>Christmas.  She wants her OWN set of tools! (Damn, I love this woman! 8>))
>So I decided that I will get her a good beginner set of tools and tool box
>for her.........

Inch,

You might want to check out the article on Tools on my Morgan web page under
the restoration articles section.

>Only problem is that I don't have any real idea where to start.
>I've put my set together over the years and I don't know what to look for
>in a beginner set.

This is the best way to go. Slowly!  You can buy "starter sets" that have
x number of tools.  If you're looking for something to give you kid who is
moving out, this might be a good idea.  But you may get a lot of tools that
you don't want or need.

My 1st tool was a good 3/8" drive socket set.  Then a good set of wrenches,
followed by 1/2" socket set.  My collection of tools has grown over the
last 30 years.  I try to get some sort of tool on almost every gift giving
occasion.

>So, I wanted to know just what to look for in a "starter set"
>First off, I want quality.  Snap-on and Mac are out for price reasons (I
>can't afford to pay those prices for a "duplicate set" of tools)
>Craftsman was my first choice, but a trip to the local Home Depot and I see
>that they now carry a "lifetime guarantee brand" of tools.  I've been
>impressed with the quality of them also.  Plus, HD is much easy to replace
>something than Sears around here.
>So, to the questions...

Personally, I like Craftsman with the exception of the their screwdrivers.
I just don't like their handles.  It's is probably the best compermise of
quality, warrentee and price.

>1- is the HD stuff worth it?

Watch a lot of the tools that have "lifetime guarantee".  I purchased a
Torx pit to remove the seat belts in my 75 Bricklin.  I wasn't sure what
size to get so I got several different sizes.  Got home, and within 5
min. I'd broken the one that fit.  I went back to the store that I'd just
bought the tool from.  It had a "lifetime guarantee".  The 1st words out of
the clerks mouth (who had just sold me the tool) was, do you have your
receipt?  Luckily it had only been 5 min. and I did.  But I sure don't have
the receipt for the Craftsman 1/2" socket set I got 30 years ago.  In fact,
I don't have the receipt for the pressure sand blaster I purchased 6 mo.
ago.  The moral here is - check to see if they require the receipt.  Sears
doesn't.  Just bring in the broken tool.

>2-What should a "starter" kit contain?

I'd start with a 3/8" socket set and a combination wrench set and go from
there.  These are the tools I use most.

>3-what type of tool box should I get? (1 piece carry style)

This is a problem.  If you get a small tool box, you can't carry many tools.
I would suggest a box that has at least 2 drawers.  I currently have:
1 - 14 drawyer - my main tool box - it takes 2 to lift empty.
1 - Craftsman 2 drawer cabinet - I've had for 30 years
1 - 3 drawer stack cabinet
1 - cheap 2 drawer roll around base
1 - cheap 3 drawer top cabinet for the base
1 - small box - I keep my body hammers & dollies in
1 - old carry arround - top lift off shelf - large open bottom that I keep
    my pullers in.
plus several cabinets liberated from the kitchen.  These hold my bigger tools.
One is an old wooden free standing 2 door, 3 shelf cabinet that holds most of
my air tools and is the fixed base for my 14 drawer box.  The other is a
cheaper metal free standing 2 door, 2 shelf, 1 drawer cabinet.  This holds
most of my electric tools - drills, saws etc.  It is also the base for my
grinder and my 3/8" drill /w drill press stand (a compermise - put the
closest I could get to a drill press at the time).

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org