RE: HVLP spray gun

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HVLP spray gun
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:21:55 -0400
this is not good.  I was going to write the list and ask about this very
subject.  I'm thinking about buying a hvlp gun and I was wondering with
which one people have had good results.  I was thinking the devilbliss
finishline gun, 'cause it's in the harbor freight catalog and it's
(comparatively) cheap gun, and 'cause I know devilbliss is supposed to be a
good brand.  anybody have more info on this?  I read that a gun converted
from standard to hvlp will not perform as well as a hvlp designed gun, but
I'm no pro, and I'm new to painting, so I don't know if it would matter to
me.

on a related note I went to a local bodyshop last week (my brother manages
to keep its owner in new boats, and state farm stock at record highs).
 their best guns, according to the tech, were 'sita', or 'jita', something
like that, that I'd never heard of.  there were two devilbliss guns that
apparently were second rate.

and lastly, I have a craftsman 5 h.p., 40 gal. compressor.  I was under the
impression that this would be enough (albeit barely) to power a hvlp gun.
 anybody have any real world experience?  I know what sears says, but their
numbers tend to be a bit fungible...

I'm looking to paint several projects and I want to be proud of the
results.  I know at least at first the paint gun won't be holding _me_ up,
but I don't want to blow some cash on a junk gun.

thanks

scott