Re: Good Workbench

To: "Ronald G. Trimmer" <trimmerr@icon-stl.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Good Workbench
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:41:11 -0500
From: Ronald G. Trimmer <trimmerr@icon-stl.net>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, July 29, 1999 1:34 AM
Subject: Good Workbench

>I made mine from 2x4s, 1/4" plywood, 2x10s for top, and some 1x pieces.
Two
>ends have holes drilled for pegboard holders.  I used cat litter boxes for
>drawers(get ones with straight edges).   I have at least 16 such drawers.
>They work well and are only about 1/2 the price of any drawers I have seen.
>I have a large vice mounted at one corner of the top.  I have large rubber
>lockable casters.  It is strong enough to use as a scaffel.  I have a V8
and
>transmission sitting on it now.  I can roll it from the detached garage to
>the house when I need it there.

The bench with my 6" vice (this sucker is huge:  I had to carry it to the
car in two trips) is bolted to the bench with three 1/2" bolts.  No way
could I use it to its limits without having the bench secured to the
building.  This bench is made of 2x4s and plywood and is about 3 x 7 feet.
Lag-screwed  into the studs in the corner of the shop with a newel post from
a Victorian house to hold up the fourth corner.

My grandfather built a workbench about 70 years ago.  Has a lot of wooden
drawers and a top made of laminated 2x4s.  I put this one on wheels.  Glad I
have enough room for two benches.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/