Not the floor paint thread again...

To: Shop-Talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Not the floor paint thread again...
From: "Keith Kaplan (Exchange)" <keithka@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:47:42 -0700
So the conventional wisdom is that 2 part epoxy is the way to go, and acid
prepping the surface is also a requirement.  Great.

Can one of the resident chemists tell me if these paints rely on their
adhesion to the concrete or their cohesion to the rest of the paint layer
for strength?

Specifically, what if I only want to paint half my garage floor at a time?
This would mean I'd etch up to some point (surely it eats through masking
tape, any suggestions on building an acid-proof dam?), then paint up to that
point.  Is the paint going to peel up at the edge I leave?  It may be years
before I get motivated enough to paint the other half, so I'd hate to have
the half I do now look terrible for the next few years.  What about the area
right around my lift columns where I don't want to pour acid and destroy my
lift?

www.keithka.com
wondering what that orange thing is in the Seattle sky today