Re: Bon-Ami

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bon-Ami
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:10:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Steve Budde wrote to shop-talk@autox.team.net:

> I have heard the story about the rings before.  I heard it from my
> uncle who was a Chevy certified mechanic from 53 - 79 when he retired.
> Is this viable?  The reason I am asking is I have recently rebuilt my
> engine and used Mobil 1 in it.  I have recently been told that you
> can't break in an engine with synthetic oil.  Is this true?  Can I use
> the bon-ami fix or should I change it to regular oil and go through
> the break in procedures again?  I have about 2000 miles on the engine
> since the rebuild and don't want to risk several thousand dollars
> worth of parts.  Please help.

Don't put Bon Ami in your engine.  Yes, it may help the new rings to seat
faster, but it will also cause accelerated wear of every other friction
surface in the engine.

You CAN break in an engine on synthetic oil, but it may take longer for
the rings to seat.  Conventional wisdom is to use normal oil for break in,
then switch to synthetic.

Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E
fold@bcpl.net