Re: Bon-Ami

To: Steve Budde <super_racenut@hotmail.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bon-Ami
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:44:03 -0700
At 09:34 AM 6/9/99 -0700, Steve Budde wrote:

>I have heard the story about the rings before.  I heard it from my uncle who
>was a Chevy certified mechanic from 53 - 79 when he retired.  Is this

  The answer is YES it works and it works really well.  The real question
is, how much long term damage does it do ?

  I know dealers did this quite a bit in the past and swore by it for
breaking in engines.  But I question how many miles it took off the engine
for the long term.  Was that engine only good for 60,000 miles instead of
the normal 100,000 ?  That is the answer I have never seen.  I also have
never found out how much you put in before you ruin the engine.

  I personally never would put Bon Ami in a rebuilt engine.  I would go and
put in regular oil and break the engine in and then switch to synthetic if
you want (I don't use or believe in synthetic personally, but thats just
me).  Good old regular oil is the tried and true way to break an engine in,
if someone wants to experiment with their hard earned dollars to find a
better way go ahead.  With my motor and my money I will stick to what I
know works for now.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/